If you are a foodie looking for an exotic culinary adventure, Niraamaya has got you covered with our mouth-watering Mussels Ulathiyathu, a popular seafood dish from the southern Indian state of Kerala. This dish combines the goodness of fresh mussels with a unique blend of spices and coconut milk, making it a delight for seafood lovers. The recipe is fairly simple, but the magic lies in the ingredients and the technique of cooking.
- Mussels Meat (cleaned) - 100g
- Coconut Oil - 2 tbsp
- Ginger (julienne) - 10g
- Garlic (julienne) - 10g
- Green Chillies (julienne) - 10g
- Onion (sliced) - 2 nos
- Coconut Slivers - 30g
- Curry Leaves - 7-8 nos
- Tomato (sliced) - 1 no
- Turmeric Powder - ½ tbsp
- Chilli Powder - 1 tbsp
- Black Pepper Powder - ½ tbsp
- Coconut Milk - 100 ml
- Salt to taste
- Heat coconut oil in a brass urli or a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. A brass urli is a traditional Indian cooking vessel made of brass, but you can use any heavy-bottomed pan for this recipe.
- Once the oil is hot, add julienned ginger, garlic, green chillies, sliced onions, coconut slivers, and half of the curry leaves. Stir them together for a few seconds until the onions start to soften and turn light golden brown.
- Add the sliced tomato and sauté for a few minutes until it softens and starts to break down. This will help to create a thick sauce for the mussels.
- Next, add turmeric powder, chilli powder, and black pepper powder. Stir everything together well and let it cook for a minute or two. This will help to infuse the spices into the onion-tomato base and create a flavorful mixture.
- Now, it's time to add the cleaned mussels meat and coconut milk. Stir everything together well and cook for a few minutes until the coconut milk starts to evaporate and thicken up the sauce.
- Check for seasoning and add salt to taste. Be careful not to add too much salt as the mussels themselves are naturally salty.
- Finally, garnish the dish with some fresh curry leaves and place the mussels back in their shells. This makes for a beautiful presentation and also helps to keep the mussels warm.
The result is a delectable dish that perfectly balances the flavours of the spices and coconut milk with the tender and juicy mussels. Serve this dish as an appetizer or main course at your next dinner party and watch as your guests are transported to the sunny shores of Kerala.
This dish is not only delicious but it is also packed with health benefits. Mussels are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which can help lower blood pressure and reduce inflammation in the body. Coconut milk is also a rich source of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which are beneficial for brain function and weight loss.
If you want to experience this dish in all its glory, head over to Niraamaya Wellness Retreats and let our expert chefs prepare it for you. The stunning backdrop of the retreat, combined with the flavours of this dish, is sure to make for an unforgettable experience. So why wait? Book your stay at Niraamaya in Kovalam, Kumarakom, Athirappilly or Thekkady today and indulge in the culinary delights of Kerala!