Despite there being numerous variations in regional dishes within Kerala, fish curry, or "meen," remains a key component of the cuisine. While you can find a variety of seafood in many areas of this coastal state, including prawns, mussels, and more, fish curry is a common dish in almost all of them. Kerala has more than just one or two recipes for delectable fish curries. Kerala-style fish curries offer plenty of room for experimentation thanks to the wide range of spices and ingredients available, such as tamarind and coconut milk. One such infamous Kerala-style fish curry is the Travancore fish curry.
This fish curry gets its name from its place of origin which is the Travancore region of Kerala, India. Explore the unique flavour of juicy fish pieces infused with spices and the flavourful fusion of coconut and tamarind. Travancore fish curry is a tasty and nutritious dish that can be incorporated into a healthy diet and is best paired with steamed rice. Here's how to make our signature dish in the comfort of your home:
- 180 grams of kingfish, cubed
- 2 cups grated coconut
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 4 green chillies, slit lengthwise
- 2 dried red chillies, split
- 1 tablespoon of ginger, julienne
- 1 tablespoon of garlic, julienne
- 5 drumsticks, chopped into 4 cm pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 tablespoons tamarind pulp
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 5 to 6 curry leaves
- In a blender make a smooth paste of the following ingredients: turmeric powder, black pepper, chilli powder, coriander powder, two green chillies, and grated coconut and keep this paste aside.
- In a thick-bottomed pan, heat the coconut oil and add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle. Then add split red chilli, curry leaves, ginger, garlic, remaining green chillies, sliced onions, and curry leaves.
- Stir until the onions turn light golden brown, then add the sliced tomato and drumstick. Now add the spice-blended coconut paste and stir. Add salt and tamarind pulp and let it boil for five minutes.
- Lastly, add the cubes of kingfish and simmer for about five minutes. Check the seasoning before you take it off the heat.
- Garnish as desired, and serve hot with rice or roti.
One serving (about 100 grams) of Travancore fish curry contains approximately:
- 121 calories
- 7 grams of fat
- 16 grams of protein
- 4 grams of carbohydrates
- 1 gram of fibre
- 6 milligrams of sodium
Variations of this flavorful and aromatic fish curry are available in Cafe Samsara at Kovalam, Kumarakom, Athirappilly and Thekkady. It is a sought-after staple at our restaurants and is very popular with all our visitors. With the breathtaking views from our retreats, this flavorful and filling meal made from coconut milk, fish, and aromatic spices is as pleasing as anything can get. If you are a seafood enthusiast, be sure to try our renowned fish curry during your stay with us.